Monday 13 September 2010

Day 12 - Hoi An (My Son)

I woke up around 7am because I wanted to visit the archaeological site of My Son (pronounced 'me-son'), now UNESCO world heritage site, and again another marvel of the Cham kingdom, the same people who started building Angkor.
I managed to jump in the very last minute into a bus of a tour-operator which was going there for the day. This time I confess I was quite disappointed. I was disappointed with the amount of tourists and the quality of the tour-guide. It was the most touristic-cheap tour I have probably ever attended but it was the only one I could arrange in such a short notice. The site itself is very beautiful, lost in a breathtaking jungle. However, after having witnessed the splendours of Angkor, this one looked very small and in pretty bad condition, this due to the fact that uncle Sam decided to heavily bomb it during the Vietnamese war. Apparently it was supposed to be a Vietcong fort, but the information was wrong and the site was bombed at the end for nothing. I manged to take some good pictures without too many people around including a couple of interesting pictures of the bricks and the perfect (and still unknown) technique used in building these incredible temples and monuments. The temperature and the climate was almost unbearable; terribly hot and humid making every single step looking like a huge effort.
 I also felt very tired and realized that the first 12 days have been very intense. All of a sudden the intensity of the last too weak came together with the heatwave to kill my legs. But obviously I continued, considering that the tour was almost practically over. We continued via boat on the river but there wasn't much to see this time. The landscape was almost flat and nothing really interesting captured my sight. We arrived back to Hoi An around 3pm where I continued my visit to the last few temples and monasteries before sitting down in a lovely bar full of coloured lanterns with a cool beer and a little tasty snack.
Monsoon rain came again but this time was heavier and longer than the previous days. Clouds were incredibly gray and their colour and anger was even more remarkable considering that the rest of the sky was still blue. I decided to go back to the hotel, to pack and to sleep a little bit. Wake up call is set for 3.30am and I don't have much time to rest but I don't really care. Tomorrow is going to be a long day travelling by plane and my last day in Asia. I will have time to rest on my flights and on my first few days in Australia.
TWIMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment