Friday 8 October 2010

Day 38 - Santiago

I landed in Santiago around 11.30 am local time. My luggage was sent directly to Lima for tomorrow, so I just had my little bag which is far more confortable to carry around. The city of Santiago is my first impact to South America during this long journey. Since the very first hours I must admit I felt in a place more similar to home. The latin culture is very strong and has many similarities which connect us all in many different way.
I met a nice man on the bus from the airport and he dicided to come with me for a small walk in the city to show me the main streets and the main highlights of the city. Once I left him I had a good walk-day tour suggested by the lonely planet guide. It was the best decision because I managed to see a lot of the city and also managed to stop to the main museum of pre-columian art. The museum was very interesting even if small but it was a good escape from the caos of the city for little more than 2 hours. I left the city around 8pm and reached the airport. My flight is tomorrow morning at 6am and I have to do the check-in around 3am. So I thought it is much better to have a little nap here at the airport. It feels great to be here even if I am very tired today. Santiago is a nice city although it is not the best I have seen. The city centre is a good place to spend some time and to get in touch with the Chilean people. I am interested in getting to know them even more in the north of the country. This stop-over in Santiago has been such a nice break before hitting Peru. I look forward to visit Lima and to return to Chile via San Pedro in the north, in approx. a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment