Thursday 21 October 2010

Day 51 – Puno – La Paz

I left the hotel at 7am after eating some cookies in my room. The bus, a very old one probably from the 70s, was waiting for departure. The journey started but we were forced to stop after approximately 1 hour because the engine of the old bus died. It is the first time anything like this happened since the beginning of my trip, but I guess I should have expected that it would have happened once, sooner or later. Fortunately after half an hour a new replacement arrived and we all continued out journey to the border city of Copacabana. After few formalities in a really small and underdeveloped frontier office, we started another 3 hours journey heading to La Paz. No major things happened and both the environment and the Bolivian people make you feel like you are still in Peru.
I met a very nice and easy going South African couple and an English guy in Copacabana on the bus and we are all pretty much doing the same journey, so hopefully there is a high chance we can all share some times together during our long journey throughout South America.
I arrived in La Paz around 17.30 and went straight to the hotel. The place is great, clean, central with polite stuff and it is very cheap with a great view from the last floor where is the dining room. I went for a very good dinner not too far from here and decided to go to bed so that I can enjoy the next day without being so tired as I am right now. 
The first impression of La Paz is pretty good, crazy town in a way but with plenty of things to discover. Bolivia is poorer than Peru though, and this can be seen not only in the general status of the infrastructure, but also from the quality of shops and restaurants in town.
I am very curious to discover more the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment