Sunday 19 December 2010

Day 90 – Foz do Iguazu & the Itaipu Dam


The last day in Iguazu, before my departure to Campo Grande was spent not only organizing my next visit but mostly in organizing my quick day tour to one of the most magnificent man-made engineering construction ever build. The dam of Iguazu. This dam gives electricity and power to the entire state of Paraguay and to 25% of the Brazilian population. The building is enormous and shows how man not only can somehow dominate the power of the nature, but also dominating it to his own profit and good. The excursion to the dam was an extremely interesting experience visiting the entrance and the turbines, the story of the adjacent river and the way Brazil and Paraguay have actually managed to build this monster in 20 years with high costs, higher revenues and the life of 138 workers. My guide, a young Brazilian engineer was not only extremely clear in explaining difficult concepts but also very patient to answer all the questions I had.
The tour ended around 4pm just in time for me to go back to the hostel, grab my stuff and go to the bus station for my journey to Campo Grande and the first real experience with an Amazonian environment. I am very excited about this!
TWIMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment